SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Placentitis--What to expect?

Sometimes the pregnancy doesn't go as expected and the foal is lost. Here you can share information and perhaps learn why it happened and/or how to prevent a reocurrence.

Moderator: Jos

Placentitis--What to expect?

Postby Krystal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:27 pm

We have a 20 year old AQHA mare who at 267 days suddenly bagged up. She has had several foals, we are told uneventfully, but this is her first in a few years and the first with us. We iniated Banamine and Antibiotics that evening upon symptoms, and had her to the repro vet first thing the next morning. She was diagnosed with Placentitis after ultrasound to confirm placental thickness. He feels we caught it early but of course that doesn't mean we are safe, just that he has seen much later diagnosed cases deliver healthy foals. She was given Banamine for a few days and will remain on smz (uniprim) and regumate for the duration of her pregnancy. She had no discharge and continues not too. Behavior wise she is normal. Today we are at 276 days....and what seems like a very long, stressful road until the baby can safely arrive (if we make it that far). I am wondering what the normal response to this type of treatment is in regards to her udder? She has been on the medications since February 21st and while it appears her udder is receding some and mostly her teats do not seem as full, she still intermittidly will produce milk. There will occasionally be just a drop or a few seconds of dripping/streaming milk. Today I noticed a few seconds of streaming and then nothing for hours. The fact that the milk production has not completely gone away after a week + on treatment has me concerned. However, my understanding from the vet (who I have great faith in) was that ideally we want to udder to recede but it can take weeks. Given she is as far along as she is, we may not see that happen and that signs of labor should be our significant warning sign of impeding abortion. I am wondering if the presence of milk is indicative that the treatment is not working and/or that she is preparing to abort or is this just part of the symptoms at this stage? I realize there is not a lot that can be done regardless but for peace of mind I am curious if the normal response at this point would be to have a significant receding of the udder/milk presence. Thank you.
Krystal
Neonate

Re: Placentitis--What to expect?

Postby Krystal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Wanted to add that the baby has been active since her diagnoses. It does seem like the seldom time the milk is more prevelant the foal then moves shortly after. Normal movements (kicks, etc) and it seems that she is dripping more in the last couple of days when she hasnt been able to go outside and move around due to our -50 temperatures. We walk her and let her roam in the arena, but wondered if perhaps she has edema in her udder that is causing more leakage due to lack of movement compared to what she is used of. Or perhaps she does it outside and we are not watching her as closely out there....she has def had less on her legs than the first couple of days of being on treatment so I would assume it has been less.
Krystal
Neonate

Re: Placentitis--What to expect?

Postby Jos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:39 am

I am wondering if the presence of milk is indicative that the treatment is not working and/or that she is preparing to abort or is this just part of the symptoms at this stage?

Unfortunately, the answer to the above questions is "yes"... or to put it another way, there really is no standard answer. It sounds as though your vet has a pretty good grasp of the situation, so hopefully the outcome will be positive, there really is little ability to accurately predict it though. :(

A few extra points you may wish to consider:
Good luck!
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Abortion and Pregnancy Loss