SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Mare aborted foal at 280 days...

Sometimes the pregnancy doesn't go as expected and the foal is lost. Here you can share information and perhaps learn why it happened and/or how to prevent a reocurrence.

Moderator: Jos

Mare aborted foal at 280 days...

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:46 am

I bought a mare in the late Fall of 2012. I had a culture and biopsy done on her and the culture came back negative and her biopsy was a IIA. Last spring we did not repeat the culture and just went ahead and bred her. She caught first time with one dose of frozen and had no issues. Yet a week ago at day 280 with no outward signs my mare aborted her foal. Foal appeared fine and placenta looked completely normal according to my vet. My mare was up to date on her pneumabort shot and had absolutely no udder development, vaginal discharge or any signs that anything was amiss. So I am not sure if it was just "one of those things" or what happened.
We are going to try to rebreed her this spring. I was going to do a culture/cytology on her but my vet wants another biopsy. Would you recommend doing a culture/biopsy instead in this case? Thanks!
Cindy
Weanling

Re: Mare aborted foal at 280 days...

Postby Jos » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:24 am

It is unfortunate that a proper (laboratory) necropsy was not performed, as it may have found a cause that a mere visual inspection of the fetus and membranes could not have done. :(

Given the lack of information as a result of a necropsy, the difference in the cost between a culture and cytology and a culture and biopsy may indeed be a worthwhile investment, as the culture and biopsy may identify an issue no picked up by the c+c.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks Jos, I did ask my vet about doing a necropsy but she recommended against it as she said that not many that she had done have come back with answers. Most were inconclusive so for the cost she didn't recommend it. So I guess at this time I will do the culture/biopsy when before breeding and go from there. Thanks!
Cindy
Weanling

Postby Cindy » Fri May 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Well part 2 of my saga continues. A second mare aborted last week (2 1/2 months after the first one) and we did do a necropsy on the foal. It came back EHV-1 as the preliminary results, not that I have anything conclusive but I will probably assume foal number 1 was aborted for the same reasons though it is just speculation. I had vaccinated this mare at 7 months but I was a week or so late for her 9 month vaccine and by the time I was going to give it she was already starting to show issues. I did not vaccinate at 5 months but both mares were vaccinated at 7 months with first mare aborting around the 8 month mark and 2nd mare aborting between 9-9 1/2 month mark.
So I did learn the hard way I need to vaccinate more often and starting no later than the 5 month mark. The really odd thing was that neither mare has had so much as a sniffle or cough for a few years. We are relatively isolated here and there have been no colds going through. I would have really though they would have shown cold symptoms if nothing else.

Anyways, I can't change what happened no matter how much I would like to but on to the real question I have. I have one last mare in foal and she was NOT vaccinated at any point throughout her pregnancy. I am going to assume she has been exposed to the EHV-1 as she was in with both mares throughout this time. My question is is it too late to vaccinate now? She is 290 days in foal. Or is it better not to stress her system anymore than being exposed might have already stressed it? Thoughts?
Cindy
Weanling

Postby Jos » Sat May 10, 2014 10:48 am

Cindy wrote:The really odd thing was that neither mare has had so much as a sniffle or cough for a few years. We are relatively isolated here and there have been no colds going through. I would have really though they would have shown cold symptoms if nothing else.

About 60% of horses are latent carriers, so there really is no such thing as a "closed herd" - and furthermore, EHV-1 is a fairly environmentally resistant virus, so if anyone had been around other horses and then gone into your herd, they could have imported the virus. It's why I annoy people by preaching against the "closed herd mentality"... :(

Anyways, I can't change what happened no matter how much I would like to but on to the real question I have. I have one last mare in foal and she was NOT vaccinated at any point throughout her pregnancy. I am going to assume she has been exposed to the EHV-1 as she was in with both mares throughout this time. My question is is it too late to vaccinate now? She is 290 days in foal. Or is it better not to stress her system anymore than being exposed might have already stressed it?

That's a real toughie... as you probably realise, stress can cause a resurgence of a latent condition, which is typically what can happen when one sees a spontaneous abortion following vaccination; if she has already been exposed, then it may be too late; but OTOH, if she hasn't already been exposed, then there is the possibility that vaccination would be beneficial.

UC-Davis offers the following recommendation:
On premises with confirmed clinical EHV-1 infection (any form), booster vaccination of horses that are likely to have been exposed already is not recommended. However, it seems rational to booster vaccinate nonexposed horses as well as horses that must enter the premises with one of the four vaccines listed above if they have not been vaccinated against EHV-1 within the past 60 days. This approach relies on the assumption that the immune system of most mature horses has already been "primed" by prior exposure to EHV-1 antigens through field infection or vaccination and can therefore be "boosted" within 7 to 10 days of administration of a single dose of vaccine. Source.

I don't think there is any straightforward answer other than UC-D's recommendation. You should certainly talk to your veterinarian about your specific situation as there may be extraneous factors that make a difference - and if they don't have specific answers, perhaps ask them to contact the local veterinary teaching university...

One thing you can do is closely monitor your mare's temperature, which may indicate the start (or presence) of an active infection.

Sorry not to be more help - but good luck and let us know how it goes!
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Cindy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Thanks Jos, I will talk it over more with my vet. She has been exposed I would think as she was in with both pregnant mares, sharing water/hay etc over the past few months. My vet felt that we shouldn't stress her system at this time, she has already been exposed and all we can hope for is that she continues to hold. I don't suppose antibiotics might help in this case to booster her immune system?

Also if by a miracle she does carry to term, how do I know the foal is o.k. and was not exposed? Do I be proactive in any way in treating the foal or is there a way to treat the foal?

My vet wants me to give her her regular shots 1 month out from foaling. A 2-way with the EHV-1 in it as well as a regular 4-way. Is there a chance this might stress her system if I gave this or should I leave it a bit closer than a month to foaling (like closer to 320 days when the foal might be viable)? What would you do in this case? We are SO close I am just praying she can hang on, doesn't help she is a higher risk mare with a IIB biopsy, so we already had the cards stacked against us a bit!
Cindy
Weanling

Postby Jos » Sat May 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Cindy wrote:I don't suppose antibiotics might help in this case to booster her immune system?

EHV is a virus. Antibiotic treatment of viruses does nothing other than promote the production of resistant strains of bacterial organisms... So no!

Also if by a miracle she does carry to term, how do I know the foal is o.k. and was not exposed? Do I be proactive in any way in treating the foal or is there a way to treat the foal?

There really is little that can be done. Here is a good article that might give you some further insights.

My vet wants me to give her her regular shots 1 month out from foaling. A 2-way with the EHV-1 in it as well as a regular 4-way. Is there a chance this might stress her system if I gave this or should I leave it a bit closer than a month to foaling (like closer to 320 days when the foal might be viable)? What would you do in this case?

Your vet is the one monitoring the situation, so they are the best to give the opinion on it. I will say that the intent of giving a vaccination about a month prior to foaling is to increase antibody levels that will be present in the colostrum, which is what is going to protect the foal at birth, and giving those vaccinations closer to foaling will reduce (or eliminate) the ability to boost colostral antibody levels...
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Abortion and Pregnancy Loss