MAIN PAGE
EQUINE REPRODUCTION ARTICLES
SHORT COURSES
ONE-ON-ONE TUITION
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US


If you "like" us please "recommend" us!



and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!


Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer


Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!


Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs


Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!


BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!


www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!


J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!


Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.


Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT


Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!


International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service






Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Sometimes the pregnancy doesn't go as expected and the foal is lost. Here you can share information and perhaps learn why it happened and/or how to prevent a reocurrence.

Moderator: Jos

Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby mynutmeg » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:37 pm

My mare was scanned 20 days in foal yesterday at around 4, she choked as the repo vet had just finished scanning her - he wouldn't give her any buscapan (I think known as banamine in the states) and said she'd clear it in a hour or two on her own. I had to go take the dog to the vet (nice busy afternoon) and when I got back she had gunk coming down her nose. I got my normal vet out who did give buscapan but was reluctant to tube as the choke was pretty high, we stayed with her a lot of the night but by morning she still wasn't very good, vet came back and did tube her - lots. Wasn't able to fully clear her and end of story is she's in the vet hospital tonight with a pneumonia starting. She's consistently had a temp of 39.2 or so all afternoon, heart rate around 80 etc, so very stressed and pretty sick. The vet school are doing a brilliant job with her. Obviously her health comes first but I'm kinda dispacing my anxiety and wondering if there's any chance of keeping this pregnancy?
mynutmeg
Breeding Stock
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby Jos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:23 am

It wouldn't hurt to have them put her on progesterone or altrenogest (Regumate) if they haven't already. It might help maintain the pregnancy.

Buscopan is not the same as Banamine BTW, the latter being flunixin meglumine, an NSAID. Buscopan is still Buscopan...! :)

Good luck.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
User avatar
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare
 
Posts: 3948
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:11 am

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby mynutmeg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:55 am

I shall suggest it, the way she was Friday night and yesterday if the pregnancy survives the foal is so being called Miracle!

Interesting about the buscopan and banamine as when I talk/read stuff about colic treatment in the states they usually talk about banamine and I'd never heard of it with buscopan being used over here
mynutmeg
Breeding Stock
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby Jos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:14 am

Buscopan was only approved for use in the USA about 6-8 years ago. Prior to that the standard use drug when initially dealing with colic was Banamine (as they had withdrawn Dipyrone), which is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and analgesic. This despite Buscopan having been in use in the UK for 20+ years. There are still many practitioners who are not familiar with Buscopan here. Buscopan is also very useful for relaxing the rectum when dealing with a mare who is tense during rectal palpation, thereby reducing the chance of rectal tear.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
User avatar
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare
 
Posts: 3948
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:11 am

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby mynutmeg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 pm

very interesting, on a side note she's home today and doing well, not totally better and has a way to go but heading in the right direction - we got her up to the vet school and onto the IV antibiotics quickly so she didn't get too bad with the pneumonia. We're going to get her scanned next week some time and see whether she is still pregnant or not.
mynutmeg
Breeding Stock
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby Holly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi Nutmeg, wondering has your mare held to the pregnancy or not...
Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby mynutmeg » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi, she was scanned a couple of days ago and she is still pregnant! I can't quite believe it. She was scanned and had lots of fluid but they couldn't see a fetus so she was rescanned 2 weeks later (this week just gone) and nice big fetus there :-)
mynutmeg
Breeding Stock
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby wolfwoman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Congratulations!
Brenda Weddle
Forever Home Farm
wolfwoman
Breeding Stock
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Gleason TN USA

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby kennelmaid » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:23 am

Congratulations....My mare was at the same stud in Cumbria. I think you will get something very nice indeed. Good luck!
kennelmaid
Neonate
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 am

Re: Any chance of keep this pregnancy?

Postby mynutmeg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 pm

me too - Mount Holly definately throws nice foals, just be interesting to see what she puts into it as she's a mix herself and this is her first foal so not entirely sure what we'll get, can't wait :-)
mynutmeg
Breeding Stock
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 am


Return to Abortion and Pregnancy Loss

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

cron



MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | INDIVIDUAL TUITION | SERVICES | LINKS
SEMEN EXPORT | STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD | CONTACT US