SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

400 day + pregs

Sometimes the pregnancy doesn't go as expected and the foal is lost. Here you can share information and perhaps learn why it happened and/or how to prevent a reocurrence.

Moderator: Jos

400 day + pregs

Postby marliefarm » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:09 pm

I need some help. I have a young vet, but he isn't an equine repro expert, and he is coming back on Thursday of this week to re-palpate, ultrasound and blood test for pregs of my mares.
Breeding dates of June 27, july 10 and Aug 16-21, 2014...and no foals yet. They had multiple US when bred, and everything seemed fine until the first of june when strangles went through the herd. Now the longest mare has no udder, she is a maiden, she had one before strangles. July mare is it her 5th foal, and has a bag that won't get beyond the current stage and aug mare has very weird edema around hers, also maiden.

feeding great grain, second cut hay at night, on pasture and getting exercise during the day...lots of fresh water, have added extra salt ..I am out of ideas. What scares me is that I am not seeing a lot of movement, infact very little, but more in the late nights then during the day.

Mares have no discharge, bright shiney coats, and eat well. So ..what do I do now? what should the vet find on Thursday? I have been on foal watch for months..but I know that at this point, I might have to pull foals so I can't let them just foal.

Any and all help gratefully appreciated.

Leslie
marliefarm
Neonate

Re: 400 day + pregs

Postby Jos » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:44 pm

In case you haven't already seen it, check out our article about "overdue mares".

Providing there is no issue with endophyte toxicity, the chances are (presuming they are still pregnant) that for whatever reason they simply aren't ready to foal. I will admit though that it is somewhat unusual to see it in 3 mares from the same herd.

I will caution you that if the suggestion is made to induce, there are some very definitive guidelines which should be in place prior to induction, otherwise, the outcome is likely to be a very sad one - and even if they factors are all in place, there are still distinct risks associated with the practice.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby marliefarm » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 pm

I am about to sound like a real newbie..but does it hurt to treat for the endophyte toxicity even if you are not sure? These are the first foals since we moved to this farm. Same winter hay supplier for the last 9 years. I don't think I do...but now I am questioning everything.
Leslie
marliefarm
Neonate

Postby Jos » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:59 pm

Well... yes and no.

The typical treatment for endophyte issues in the pregnant mare is a dopamine antagoninst such as Domperidone. While this in itself will not harm the mare, it will promote mammary development and milk production, which - if there is actually nothing wrong - may interfere with colostrum production.

I would say that the first step for you is to confirm that the mares are indeed still pregnant by getting you veterinarian to palpate rectally.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Abortion and Pregnancy Loss