SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

21 year old stallion not ejaculating

Discuss regular and advanced stallion handling, from live cover to phantom training.

Moderator: Jos

21 year old stallion not ejaculating

Postby oakleaf218 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:23 am

Hi Jos,

I tried to post a reply on the original thread of our conversation, but kept getting an internal server error message, so I hope this finds its way to you.

I took my stallion to a collection facility yesterday and was disapointed to learn that he is not ejaculating. He mounted the phantom three times and each time yielded only clear fluid. The stallion handler said my stallion is thrusting normally on the phantom (though he does appear to be weak in the legs and needed a handler at his hip to help steady him in position), but at the point where his penis should stiffen and ejaculate, my stallion just goes soft. The clear fluid was evaluated under a miscroscope and several different slides were prepared. There were a few sperm in the fluid, but they were dead.

The stallion handler said that the inability to ejaculate could mean that my stallion is too old and his breeding career has ended. He also said that the AV temperature could be adjusted warmer or cooler to see if that helps. I have decided to leave him at the collection station and the plan is collect him on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, assuming he will continue to mount the phantom. I gave him a gram of bute yesterday morning prior to collection, but the plan for Wednesday is to see if he will mount without the use of bute. (At home he was willing to mount mares without having bute and his libido is very good.)

In your opinion, what may be the reason my stallion is not ejaculating? If he continues to mount without ejaculating over the course of the next week, should I leave him there to try awhile longer? Would Omega 3 supplementation be likely to help in this scenario? If so, how long should I wait to see any clinical improvement? Can the temperature of the AV affect a stallion's willingness to ejaculate? Could pain be a factor also?

I knew this stallion was going to be a project when I got him, so any guidance you may have will be much appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Autumn
oakleaf218
Nursing Foal

Re: 21 year old stallion not ejaculating

Postby Jos » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am

AV temperature/pressure could be an issue, and adjustment may assist, although if the collection facility is competent they should already have done this while attempting the prior "collections". How are they assessing that he has ejaculated? Are they feeling urethral pulses?

Pain can certainly be an issue preventing ejaculation. As I noted in the other thread, ground collection may be worth trying to see if that makes a difference.

How big are this stallion's testicles? If they are a normal size, then it may be that he has a blockage, which is not uncommon and may resolve with the use of pre-collection oxytocin, and/or massage of the ampullae per rectum. If the testicles are small or abnormal in condition, then he may have undergone testicular degeneration and that condition is not reversible. Note that if he is suffering from spermiostasis (blockage), then if it does release, there will be a high concentration and number of sperm in the initial ejaculates, which will primarily be dead. The treatment for that is essentially to repeatedly collect him until he is "cleaned out" and then put him on a maintenance collection 2 or 3 times a week to prevent further dead-sperm build up (normally stallions release dead sperm in their urine, but spermiostasic stallions are unable to do that).

Without having conclusive indications of what the issues are, it is difficult to predict whether Omega-3 supplements will help, but I suspect not. In the event that they are beneficial, it takes at least 60 days for an effect to be seen.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby oakleaf218 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi Jos,

Thank you for the reply. I spoke to the collection facility and the man who collected my horse yesterday said that he feels one urethral pulse and then nothing - the stallion goes soft. They want to have their vet visit tomorrow to give the horse a shot to 'relax him' and then try to collect him on the ground. I asked what the drug was that would be given and the person I spoke to on the phone did not know and said that it was in the rompin family? I left a voicemail for their vet, but so far have had no reply as to what drug would be used.

I like your suggestion of oxytocin, as I keep the drug here at all times for use on my foaling mares. How much should be given to a stallion with a possible blockage issue (he is an arabian and weighs about 1,000 pounds) and how soon should it be given prior to collection? Are there any potential side effects for him and if it does not work should it be repeated? If oxytocin is being used along with a massage of the ampullae, what is the protocol? My vet typically sedates a horse for a rectal exam, so how would this affect the timing of the use of oxytocin and then collection? Are there instances where a blockage simply does not resolve? Should the stallion also be given something for pain or should we try the oxytocin on its own? I have never dealt with this issue, so I don't know if the release of blockage will be painful for him. Lastly, could all of this be done and then an attempt at ground collection, or would a better process of elimination be to try oxytocin and let the stallion mount the phantom again?

His testicles appear to be normal size, not abnormally small, so at this point, I would like to work on the assumption of a possible blockage. I haven't seen a lot of stallions' testicles, but I do have a five year old here who is very fertile and has been used alot this year. I would say the old stallion's testicles are as large or a little larger than my young stallion.

I appreciate your thoughts on this subject. I am hopeful that if this is a blockage, that my stallion may be able to return to breeding mares.

Kindest Regards,

Autumn
oakleaf218
Nursing Foal

Postby Jos » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Whoa!! One thing at a time!! <LOL> You're sort to trying to solve multiple problems all at one go, not even being sure if what you're trying to cure is the problem... :) You need to do a process of elimination, not try everything at once!

The use of a little Xylazine (Rompun) can be beneficial with some stallions. Sometimes it is combined with Impramine to lower the ejaculatory threshold (and Imipramine can be used alone for that as well). Certainly let them try that and see if it can help.

It would not be practical to sedate the stallion and then massage the ampullae as the horse would still be unstable at the point when collection should be attempted. Your vet should be familiar with the use the suitable dosage if oxytocin for the stallion, which is given just prior to the collection attempt - the half-life of oxytocin is very short, so it is given as the stallion enters the collection shed.

Yes, there are situations where a blockage cannot be cleared. I would suggest that you discuss the blockage issue directly with the attending veterinarian who is to evaluate the stallion.

If only a single pulse is being felt, I am a little skeptical about the belief that the stallion is actually ejaculating. They might want to increase the lumen temperature of the AV up to the 54°C end of the range and see what effect that has.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Stallion Handling