SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Stallion with no motility

Discuss regular and advanced stallion handling, from live cover to phantom training.

Moderator: Jos

Stallion with no motility

Postby melissayq » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 pm

We recently purchased a 7 year old stallion. We did three clean out collections from the end of January through the first part of February. All three collections yielded semen, however with <10% motility. We stand four other stallions on our farm and all are being collected and inseminating mares. All the collection and evaluation procedures are the same for each stud. We feed second to none and all the studs are in good flesh.

At first I thought perhaps the stud has an accumulation problem. He was collected on Sunday with the same yields. We collected him Monday morning with the same yields. We waited an hour and a half and collected him again, this time with a lower volume (as expected) but his motility was up to 50%. I thought I was on to something. I needed to ship semen today on him so I repeated the process: collected Wednesday afternoon (<10% motility), collected Thursday afternoon (<10% motility), waited two hours and collected a third time -- and still <10% motility.

The previous owner and mare owners calling for semen have mentioned how great the horse ships and his great collections. So what has changed on our farm to cause this drastic change?

I have several theories:

1. The previous owner said he kept this stud on lights previous to breeding season to prepare him for February breedings. Would lights make that big of a difference? I was taught that the concentration improves with the season, but the quality should be equal. I was also taught to be careful putting studs on lights as they are more sensitive to lights than mares. At this point, I can't start him on lights to improve the situation, but it would be good to know for next year.

2. The stud was leased for showing last summer. His last show was the first weekend in November and brought back to our farm a week later. Could he be reacting to a drug given during showing to cause semen loss? I know he was routinely given bute, banamine, caffeine, and Dex. I would think at this point he would be detoxed -- however I know it takes 57 days for a sperm cell to fully mature -- so the sperm being collected now could have been effected by the drugs. (If those drugs have that effect)

3. He produces a large quantity of gel. I have not tried a double filter, but the previous owner suggested this to me today. If there was gel in my sample, would it "bind up" the sperm so drastically?

Sorry for all the info == but I am out of ideas and am very frustrated. Any ideas and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.
melissayq
Neonate

Re: Stallion with no motility

Postby Jos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:51 am

melissayq wrote:1. The previous owner said he kept this stud on lights previous to breeding season to prepare him for February breedings. Would lights make that big of a difference? I was taught that the concentration improves with the season, but the quality should be equal. I was also taught to be careful putting studs on lights as they are more sensitive to lights than mares. At this point, I can't start him on lights to improve the situation, but it would be good to know for next year.

Stallions aren't more sensitive to lights, but unlike mares they have - in their mind - a fixed duration of breeding season. Consequently, if one puts a stallion under lights in order to get better quality ejaculates and libido earlier in the year, the quality and libido will deteriorate earlier in the year than normal. It would not however directly affect motility, just sperm numbers.

2. The stud was leased for showing last summer. His last show was the first weekend in November and brought back to our farm a week later. Could he be reacting to a drug given during showing to cause semen loss? I know he was routinely given bute, banamine, caffeine, and Dex. I would think at this point he would be detoxed -- however I know it takes 57 days for a sperm cell to fully mature -- so the sperm being collected now could have been effected by the drugs. (If those drugs have that effect)

Dexamethasone could potentially affect matters such as libido and sperm numbers, as it may cause a drop in testosterone. Again though, it should not affect motility.

3. He produces a large quantity of gel. I have not tried a double filter, but the previous owner suggested this to me today. If there was gel in my sample, would it "bind up" the sperm so drastically?

This would be my most likely bet along with the spermiostasis situation (which you have looked at already). Gel won't particularly "bind up" sperm in the main portion of the ejaculate, but with some stallions it just kills it!! I would definitely try double filtering and/or you could try fractionating the ejaculate to capture only the first three ejaculatory spurts (the sperm come in the first three, the seminal plasma and gel in the subsequent spurts).

Give that a go and see how you make out. If it still doesn't improve, post back here and we'll try some different things (of course, please post back to let us know if it does work too!! :) )
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby melissayq » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks! We let him go for 48 hours before collecting him again. This collection was perhaps a bit better - but not by much.

I tried the double filter and there was a small amount of gel in the second filter.

I made an effort to keep the gel as low as possible by not teasing him much and making sure the pressure and water temperature were perfect. He did have less gel in this collection as he has in the past.

I also tried removing the AV to avoid collecting some of the gel like you suggested -- but I don't think I did a good job of it. It was awkward and I also didn't want to pull back too soon. Is there a trick to it?

I thought maybe the next collection I would put some extender in the collection bottle prior to the collection????
melissayq
Neonate

Postby Jos » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm

melissayq wrote:Thanks! We let him go for 48 hours before collecting him again. This collection was perhaps a bit better - but not by much.

If it is an "accumulator issue" collecting him 2 or 3 times a day for 2 or 3 consecutive days would be a better way to go - you might want to do that anyway just to rule it out...

I also tried removing the AV to avoid collecting some of the gel like you suggested -- but I don't think I did a good job of it. It was awkward and I also didn't want to pull back too soon. Is there a trick to it?

Don't remove the AV!!! :o :shock: Sheesh!!! :8: How would your husband or boyfriend feel about that??? :twisted: Well - your stallion feels the same way!!! :~)

Pinch off the liner just above the collection bottle after three ejaculatory spurts. Let the stallion finish ejaculating, but then dump the rest of the ejaculate (that will include the gel) out of the AV and use only the first three spurts that you caught in the collection bottle!

Jeez.... poor stallion!!! :lol:

I thought maybe the next collection I would put some extender in the collection bottle prior to the collection????

Try and get the gel elimination down and see if that makes a difference. You don't want to do too many new things at the same time, as if you suddenly get an improvement, you won't know why! So, one step at a time... if the elimination of the gel doesn't work, definitely try adding some warmed extender to the collection bottle - that would have been one of my subsequent suggestions... :)
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby melissayq » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 am

geez, now I feel stupid. I thought that was awkard!

I will report back :)
melissayq
Neonate

Postby melissayq » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm

We collected our stud today. I prepared the collection bottle with a double filter and during ejaculation I pinched the liner. I dumped out some of the gel - but I didn't catch all of it because there was still quite a bit in the gel filter. BUT his motility was at 60%. Nothing fantastic -- but certainly usable. We plan on collecting him again tomorrow to see if we get a collection twice in a row. I have my fingers crossed that this is going forward

thanks!
melissayq
Neonate

Postby Jos » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Excellent!! :)

But how about I keep my fingers crossed for you, as trying to fractionate the ejaculate with your fingers crossed is going to make it that much more difficult!! :D

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Stallion Handling