SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Could I have miscalculated my dates?!

Once the mare is in foal the question period should be over, right? Wrong! It's only just beginning! Discuss ideas and tips here for management techniques for the pregnant mare, and the new born foal and it's mother.

Moderator: Jos

Could I have miscalculated my dates?!

Postby Kleonaptra » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:01 pm

If so, How?

My mare is a maiden and her last service dates are between 2nd and 7th of Dec 2012. She runs with the stallion and its natural paddock service. I strongly believed her conception date was 5th of Dec, as this was her strongest day of eostrus and on this day I administered a tranquil paste. She had come into season oct and Nov, I decided to use a tranquil paste because she was letting him serve her but not standing for him to finish. After her Dec season with many successful serves, she was due to return to season around christmas day, she did not, Yay!

She has gotten extremely big the last few days, and my mum is pestering me that I got the dates wrong. Since I keep accurate records I told her this was impossible, but today Ive noticed her bagging up. I was extremely excited at first, but by my calculations she is not at 300 days yet, and not at 320 days (precious safe zone) until mid October.

If my dates are wrong, then she would have been already pregnant in Dec when he served her last. Though I account for the possibility that with animals anything is possible, I know thats highly unlikely.

She's very well, good appetite, not fat or thin. She doesnt do much but stand around sleeping - its been very hot here - has a bit of a wander up and down the property and a lay down and roll every now and then. Seems a bit touchy but otherwise fine. She gets one hard feed a day, a kilo of cool conditioner pellet, a half kilo of showtime studmix and kilo of mixed green and white chaff, prime quality hay twice a day. I was going to up her feed but Im concerned about doing that because she's so big. She is a small mare, only about 14.3hh and my stallion is even smaller, but the mares sire is a big 16hh fella so Im worried my tiny mare will be stuck with a big baby her first time.

Any thoughts? Her bag is not overly full but a marked difference from yesterday. Being a maiden she's had absolutely nothing there so far and today its obviously getting full. I'll work on getting some pics for you - I just checked out on google and pics that look like her are all over 300 days, so Im a little concerned.
Kleonaptra
Nursing Foal

Re: Could I have miscalculated my dates?!

Postby Jos » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm

I am presuming that at no point you have had the mare checked by ultrasound? That is probably a mistake....

There are a couple of possibilities.

Certainly some mares will stand for the stallion even though pregnant, so it is possible that she became pregnant by one of the previous breedings, and that the tranquiliser actually allowed completion of a breeding later when pregnant. If that is the case, then you are quite likely lucky, as often when a pregnant mare is bred, she loses the previous pregnancy owing to disruption of the cervix.

Another possibility is that she got pregnant at the point that you think, but that she is experiencing potential pregnancy loss as a result of placentitis, twinning or some other problem.

I would recommend that you have your reproductive vet evaluate her as soon as possible.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Re: Could I have miscalculated my dates?!

Postby Kleonaptra » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:08 pm

I had planned to have her checked with an ultra sound by vets told me my stables and crush did not meet their insurance requirements. She doesnt travel well so I didnt want to risk her on the trip to the clinic.

Her bag is by no means full, not running milk or anything dangerous like that. Same size today as it was yesterday, just noticeable.

But I will call the vets and see what they think.
Kleonaptra
Nursing Foal

Return to Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal