SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Possible Placentitis...at almost 10 months...Jos?

Once the mare is in foal the question period should be over, right? Wrong! It's only just beginning! Discuss ideas and tips here for management techniques for the pregnant mare, and the new born foal and it's mother.

Moderator: Jos

Possible Placentitis...at almost 10 months...Jos?

Postby marksrn98 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Today I noticed my mare started developing a bag today...not huge, but definitely started getting bigger and she's been acting cranky the last week..she is 292 days in foal today and the vet is concerned about her having placentitis and wants her started on SMZ...he feels she is bagging up too early...is 6 weeks too early for her to be starting an udder? I am really worried now :(
marksrn98
Yearling

Re: Possible Placentitis...at almost 10 months...Jos?

Postby Jos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Did the vet measure the mare's CTUP (combined thickness, uterus and placenta) by ultrasound to make the diagnosis of possible placentitis? If not, what technique did they use?

The average gestational duration of the equine is anywhere between 320 and 370 days, so your mare is in fact only 28 days before the onset of average gestational period, and it would not be unusual for a mare to start developing an udder 4 weeks prior to foaling. If however your veterinarian has definitively diagnosed placentitis, then SMZ are not the only treatment usually applied. Progestin supplementation along with NSAID (usually Flunixin meglumine - "Banamine") and possibly estrogen therapy are also recommended.

If you have any doubts, perhaps a second opinion from another vet is in order?
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Re: Possible Placentitis...at almost 10 months...Jos?

Postby marksrn98 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:12 pm

My vet did not see her at all, just going by my observations..I really do think he is trying to err on the side of caution and save me money on another vet visit...my bill is still so high because of the breeding and emergency visits..there is no leaking at all and no discharge from her vulva..not sure if I should just give them or give it a few days...they are slightly a bit smaller than yesterday..here are some pics from today and my daughter cleaned them so thats why they're shiny clean
Katie Udder
marksrn98
Yearling

Return to Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal