SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Rhinommune Modified Live Virus Question..Jos!

Once the mare is in foal the question period should be over, right? Wrong! It's only just beginning! Discuss ideas and tips here for management techniques for the pregnant mare, and the new born foal and it's mother.

Moderator: Jos

Rhinommune Modified Live Virus Question..Jos!

Postby marksrn98 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:25 pm

I discovered that the rhino vaccine that caused my mares severe reaction 6 days ago was Rhinomune Modified live virus..I have read that this should probably be avoided in pregnant mares because it is a live virus and can cause the exact symptoms my mare had and worse. My question is, now that she has been injected with a live virus, is she now going to be a carrier of rhino? I do not want to vaccinate her with these injections anymore because I thought we were going to lose her after the reaction she had and she still is not 100%, So if she was injected with it and I don't vaccinate anymore, will she get sick and pass it on to the baby? I am really confused and worried about her..still hoping she doesn't lose her foal :cry:
marksrn98
Yearling

Re: Rhinommune Modified Live Virus Question..Jos!

Postby Jos » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 pm

These are questions that should really be addressed directly to your veterinarian, as there may be extraneous factors present in your circumstances which could affect matters. Consequently, the following observations are only generalities, not specifically directed at your situation.

Modified live virus vaccines as a whole are generally not recommended for pregnant mares, however there are many instances where they have been used with no negative effect. Indeed, with the EVA modified live virus vaccine Arvac, it is recommended that it be used in the event that there is an outbreak of EVA on a farm in a situation where a pregnant mare may come in contact with an infectious animal.

The fact that the vaccine is modified indicates that changes have been made to it to prevent the animal actually contracting the disease, but made so that their bodies will develop antibodies against the disease. You do not give a horse the disease by using a modified live virus vaccine unless there is an unusual issue. It is unlikely therefore that your mare became infected with EHV as a result of the vaccine. Having said that, it is important that you be aware that a huge percentage of horses are already exposed to EHV - somewhere around 60-70% of horses will show antibody presence - and EHV is a disease that has the ability to remain dormant in the body until something triggers it's action, which is why it is necessary to vaccinate against it even if you don't think there is a risk of exposure (because there is!!). In other words, it is unlikely that your mare was infected with the disease, merely that she had a reaction to the injection. A similar effect can be seen with many other injections.

The issue with EHV-1 (sub 1) - Rhinopneumonitis - infection in the pregnant mare is that it can trigger abortion of the fetus, not that it can be transmitted to the newborn foal. That is why the vaccination is given throughout pregnancy and not just around 30 days prior to foaling.

Hopefully the above will help. As I say, other questions specific to your situation should be addressed to your veterinarian.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Re: Rhinommune Modified Live Virus Question..Jos!

Postby marksrn98 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks for your reply Jos, was very informative. I have decided, along with my vet, that my mare won't be getting the final two rhino vaccines due to her last reaction...it took her a good three weeks to recover from her ordeal and although I do not want to lose the foal, I definitely do not want to lose her and the foal so we have decided against them. I will vaccinate her in the Spring 4-6 weeks prior to her due date although I am terrified to do so. She is on a regular worming schedule as well. She will be 7 months in one week and I have felt the baby kicking from a little past 6 months, kicked hard today :D I pray she makes it through and has a healthy foal. You know I have three children and I never once was this stressed about a pregnancy or delivery until now. I will not rest until the foal is born and deemed healthy I suppose...its gonna be a long 4 months :^^
marksrn98
Yearling

Return to Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal