SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Mare update from the old board

The place to post that topic that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Moderator: Jos

Mare update from the old board

Postby innishfael » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:29 pm

I wanted to post an update on my mare, Jos had given some advise to me much earlier in the year and her story is on the old board.

I had wanted to try pasture breeding with my new stallion and so in early February, I did put him out into a small pasture with two of my mares. The idea was to have them to acclimate for a bit before breeding season. Things went well for a short while and then he decided to mount one of the mares and she took offense, pushed her way out of the pasture via a gate. The stallion had only just gotten on her and did not have time to ‘finish’ the job. Six weeks later, the mare is not coming into heat at all, so I asked on this board if it were possible she was in foal from a shortened cover and JOS advised it was indeed possible. I did a wee foal test on her just to be sure and the results were positive!

I had the vet out to ultrasound some other mares and asked if she could just reconfirm the pregnancy, which would have been 55 days along by this time. Vet ultrasounded and could not find anything. She told me the mare was definitely open and that she had follicles ready and would be coming back into heat in a week’s time. Oh how devastating that news was, as I had lost the stallion tragically back in April This vet does a huge amount of repro work, I had told her about the positive test and she said there was no way she could not find a 55 day embryo.

So in four days, I started the regimen of teasing this mare again with a different stallion - I teased her every other day for three weeks. Nothing…she HATED him. Okay, by this time I am very confused so I call a different veterinarian (the first one was out of town) and have him come out so we can figure out what is wrong. He palpates the mare and looks confused, saying her uterus is very big and if I had not told him the story, he would have said she was in foal. He cannot feel a foal as it is over the pelvic brim but from the size of the uterus he thinks she is in foal. I ask him to pull blood and lo and behold it comes back positive that she is in foal!

I am still not believing this between it being so very early in the year, and the stallion had not been used for breeding for two years and did not get to finish. But there it is.

I wanted to update the story just in case any of this can help someone with a little hope. This mare is due in the middle of January (eeeps!) so I have some winterproofing to do on the foaling stall prior to the onset of snow.

Here is the mare in foal :

And the stallion that I lost:

sheila - innishfael farm
innishfael
Yearling

Re: Mare update from the old board

Postby mynutmeg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:24 pm

They are both gorgeous - congratulations and have fun with such an early foal - with regards to the first scan at 55 days my mare was scanned at about 42 days and although there was lots of fluid etc the vet couldn't see the embryo, when she was rescanned a couple of weeks later it was nice and visible - they can and do hide them :-)
mynutmeg
Breeding Stock

Re: Mare update from the old board

Postby Holly » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Both are stunning! Congrats on your foal to be :)
Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category