SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Delaying foal heat.. questions questions.

Use of exogenous hormones in the mare to induce estrus; maintain or end pregnancy; and also the use of hormones to stimulate or quieten stallions.

Moderator: Jos

Delaying foal heat.. questions questions.

Postby EdA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

I want to try this year to delay foal heat on two of my mares, to try to gain couple of days for next year due dates.

Mares are respectively 15yo and 16yo this year. They are proven broodmares, the first being in foal to her 3rd foal in a row, and the second one got a year break in 2011 but is in foal to her 9th foal, the 2nd one via frozen semen.

The 15yo sometimes has some clearances issues post foaling (got in 2007 a 30hrs placenta retention who endend well luckily, and a 6hrs one in 2011 where minutes before I was heading to the vet after BREAKING my oxytocin bottle and waisting the stuff on the floor, the placenta fell on the ground behind the mare... !! 2012 was fine, placenta was out 1hr post foaling), and I read here: http://www.equine-reproduction.com/arti ... alheat.htm that it might not be advised to go that route with such mare. Is there any possibilities to do an oxytocin protocol post foaling, AND start her to the ReguMate 8 day course? I would prefer the ReguMate option over the P&E first for availability ease, second, to spare the mare from 10 injections and third because both attempt I've made to go the P&E route (but not post foaling I admit) it didn't worked out and both time I tried the ReguMate foal heat delaying it worked (on a post foaling mare of course), but it was a different mare than the two I am writing here about.

Other question is for both mares. I would like to go with the 2x micro doses of prostaglandins instead of the bigger, painfull tranditionnal one... But then, do I administer 1st dose at day 7 and 2nd dose at day 8, or 1st dose at day 8 and 2nd dose at day 9??

Thanks!
EdA
Neonate

Re: Delaying foal heat.. questions questions.

Postby Jos » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Hmm... where to start! :D

EdA wrote:The 15yo sometimes has some clearances issues post foaling ... and I read here: http://www.equine-reproduction.com/arti ... alheat.htm that it might not be advised to go that route with such mare. Is there any possibilities to do an oxytocin protocol post foaling, AND start her to the ReguMate 8 day course?

OK... here's the first issue. Progestins will tend to close the cervix whenever used. If you have a mare that has clearance issues, the following foaling, you obviously want to encourage clearance, but the use of progestin therapy (e.g. ReguMate) will tend to close the cervix. In other words, Progestin use in such a mare is typically contra-indicated at this point.
I would prefer the ReguMate option over the P&E first for availability ease, second, to spare the mare from 10 injections and third because both attempt I've made to go the P&E route (but not post foaling I admit) it didn't worked out and both time I tried the ReguMate foal heat delaying it worked (on a post foaling mare of course), but it was a different mare than the two I am writing here about.

You're still not off the hook with P&E, because the "P" is progesterone.

In this type of a situation, I would feel more comfortable using a dose of estrogen - ECP for example - on about day 7 or 8 post-foaling if the mare has not yet ovulated at that point. This will typically delay an imminent ovulation by a day or two, thereby hopefully pushing it out past the magic 10 day post-foaling mark. Alternatively, if the mare has ovulated already at that point, count 6 days and give PGF2α and you will still shorten up the time period as she should (hopefully!) return to estrus in about 3-5 days, which will mean she should be breedable around 5 days later, or about 15-17 days after foaling.
Other question is for both mares. I would like to go with the 2x micro doses of prostaglandins instead of the bigger, painfull tranditionnal one... But then, do I administer 1st dose at day 7 and 2nd dose at day 8, or 1st dose at day 8 and 2nd dose at day 9??

Well, see above regarding the use of P&E in a post-foaling mare of this type. Plus, you do not have the same effect when using P&E in the post-foaling mare as you do in the regularly cycling mare. typically, one would give just a couple of days of P&E to delay onset of estrus. you will not get the timely rebound effect and pinpointing of ovulation that you see in the cycling mare. Furthermore, a post-foaling mare does not have a CL present, so in fact the use of PGF2α is not required as it is in the cycling mare receiving P&E. The only caveat would be if the mare did ovulate during treatment, but as I say, you don't use the 10 day dosage, so that's unlikely.

If however, one were to use P&E in a cycling mare and wanted to use the micro-dose of PGF2α then what we do is treat on days 9 and 10 of overall protocol instead of just day 10.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Re: Delaying foal heat.. questions questions.

Postby EdA » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks Jos, as always.

I will probably try your suggestion for the mare with clearances issues. Getting ultrasound from experienced vets is hard in my part of the country so I try to minimize the frequency of them. But I guess I won't get away from them that much. :)

We are thinking seriously about buying one US machine and do Kathy's course in a near future, perhaps not this year, but probably next one. Then I could monitor the mares so much efficiently, if/when I get good at it :)
EdA
Neonate

Return to Hormonal Manipulation