SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Depo-Provera

Use of exogenous hormones in the mare to induce estrus; maintain or end pregnancy; and also the use of hormones to stimulate or quieten stallions.

Moderator: Jos

Depo-Provera

Postby ArabHrsLvr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:33 am

I was wondering if anyone has experience using this drug in mares with behavioral issues. I just got some from my vet to try. I have read studies suggesting that it does nothing, but have heard from many people that it has helped their horses.

I posted on here before the new board swap out and someone mentioned a compound to get here...but the post is gone with the new board.

My 5 year old mare has hormonal "issues" and her previous owner was able to control them with a shot...but she can't remember which one. Thought I'd start by trying Depo. Next will try Hydroxyprogesterone I suppose. Regumate does nothing for this mare. She cannot be turned out with other horses because she wants to kill them, but when alone goes crazy. She's a puppy dog with people and loves her stall neighbor...just not in turnout. She kicks and squeals...moreso during heat. She has capped her hock from kicking.

Also, I have gotten conflicting stories on length of efficacy of this shot...have heard to give it every 2 weeks...have also been told one 5ml injection should last 2-3 months. It is in oil.

Thanks. :)
ArabHrsLvr
Neonate

Re: Depo-Provera

Postby Jos » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 am

As noted, Depo Provera (medroxyprogesterone acetate) has not been demonstrated to have an effect when used in a controlled research setting. As other people have suggested that it may have an impact, one has to question "placebo effect" and whether the knowledge that the horse is on a drug is actually affecting the way that person handles the horse, and that in turn affects the horse.

Alternatives that have been shown to affect cycles are progesterone and altrenogest. These are available as injectable versions, and the latter is of course the active ingredient in Regumate. Probably the pharmacy that was mentioned previously was BET Pharm who provide a long-acting progesterone injection (which will last around 8-10 days) and also long-acting altrenogest injections (12 and 30 days depending upon the product used). It might be worth trying the long-acting injectable altrenogest, as because it is a sustained-release there are not the "peaks and troughs" seen with daily Regumate dosing. It should be noted though that progestins - the drug category of progesterone, altrenogest and Depo Provera - are the hormone group that cause resistance to the stallion's advances in the mare, so in fact although treatment with these drugs may improve behaviour, it could also make it worse!

You might also want to talk to your veterinarian about placement of a marble in your mare's uterus. This has been demonstrated to stop mares cycling in a significant portion of mares for up to 90 days, and would be a cheaper alternative to drug therapy.

Re: "the post is gone with the new board" - all posts from the previous board are still present at the old board location, but the search engine doesn't work. If you know what category the post was under, you will still be able to find it.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby ArabHrsLvr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks Jos. I found the other thread, you had mentioned Biorelease Altrenogest for her. So, if giving her Regumate did not change her behavior (she was receiving it everyday at the same time for 60 days) why would injectable work? Is there a certain point in her cycle it should be given (or NOT given?)

We'll see if the Depo does anything. I don't expect any placebo effect to take place as her bad behavior is present when she is turned out/alone. We will be able to observe her from afar to note any changes. She doesn't do anything "naughty" while being handled or ridden.

What do you know about Hydroxyprogesterone?
ArabHrsLvr
Neonate

Postby Jos » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:01 pm

ArabHrsLvr wrote:So, if giving her Regumate did not change her behavior (she was receiving it everyday at the same time for 60 days) why would injectable work?

If you look above, you will note that I commented "It might be worth trying the long-acting injectable altrenogest, as because it is a sustained-release there are not the "peaks and troughs" seen with daily Regumate dosing."

Is there a certain point in her cycle it should be given (or NOT given?)

No.

We'll see if the Depo does anything. I don't expect any placebo effect to take place as her bad behavior is present when she is turned out/alone. We will be able to observe her from afar to note any changes. She doesn't do anything "naughty" while being handled or ridden.

See also my caution above about progestins being responsible for refractive behaviour in mares...

What do you know about Hydroxyprogesterone?

McKinnon et. al. included it in the studies on progestins capable of maintaining pregnancy, and found it did not. Hence one has to question whether it is capable of being absorbed or utilized by the equine.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby ArabHrsLvr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Just thought I'd give an update...

Since getting the shot, my mare has completely settled down during turnout time. She has yet to pace the fence line, run herself into a hot dripping sweaty mess or whinny and scream during her time outside and now grazes quietly all day. What a relief! Hopefully now she'll begin to put the weight back on that she lost. :) She has also stopped kicking and squealing in her stall.
ArabHrsLvr
Neonate

Return to Hormonal Manipulation