SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

22 month old colt collection issues.

This category is to be used for general stallion questions that are not covered by other category descriptions.

Moderator: Jos

22 month old colt collection issues.

Postby Nitesun » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

I have a 22 month old colt. We started collecting in March and he did everything great sperm count was low but all sperm was dead. We collected for 7 days with no change. My vet said he is too young so we have waited 5 weeks and tried again sperm count has gone up but again ALL DEAD I mean dead nothing moving. I have had stallions for a long time collected 100's of times so there is nothing that I'm doing wrong as far as all the things that can kill semen. This colt was very sick at about 5 months old with pneumonia and was hospitalized. Has made a full recovery. So my question is. Why would all sperm be dead? Could he just not be mature enough? Is he sterile? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Nitesun
Neonate

Re: 22 month old colt collection issues.

Postby Jos » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:40 pm

At 22 months, your colt is definitely immature and it is quite possible that your veterinarian is correct in saying that he is just too you. As you have apparently ruled out all other possible environmental issues, this would be the most likely scenario. Pneumonia at 5 months would be unlikely to impact testicular performance 1½ years later. I suspect that when your vet said he was too young and presumably indicated that you should wait for him to mature somewhat, he was thinking a little longer than 5 weeks... :)

If he was mine, I probably would wait at least several months until the (natural) breeding season is under way - end of May and June - and try then, but possibly even better wait until he is a three year old.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Nitesun » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Thank you for your reply. My vet wanted me to collect 5 weeks later that's wY we did. This colt has a huge number if breedings to fufil everyone fully knowing that he may not breed as a 2 yr old. Other vets are saying he is just not " blown out" yet how long does that take on all my other stallions usually just one time. Other question in the past 5 weeks his soetm
Count has gone up quite a large amount does that mean he is maturing and if so what I don't understand is ( and no one can seem
To explain) why does he have sperm if he is not mature and why is it dead. Also if he has sperm although dead in collection does that mean he is not steril.
JOS Thanks for your response are you your self a vet? Any other input is greatly appreciated
Nitesun
Neonate

Postby Jos » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:17 am

Nitesun wrote:Other vets are saying he is just not " blown out" yet how long does that take on all my other stallions usually just one time.

There is a condition called "spermiostasis" which is where a stallion is unable to release sperm in his urine - which is how the dead sperm are normally cleared - which can result in a high concentration of dead sperm when the stallion does ejaculate. One of the common indicators of this problem, although not necessarily present in all instances, is that many of the sperm will have separated heads and tails. While I think it more likely that the issue you are seeing is related to the cold being immature, that is another possibility. You might want to take a look at the sperm in the ejaculate and see if there are a lot of separated heads. With spermiostasic stallions, some stallions need to be collected 2 or 3 times in order to get cleaned out, while others may require considerably more. Once cleaned out in order to maintain useable ejaculates, it is sensible to collect the stallion 2 or 3 times a week even if not using the semen. this does however in some instances result in low sperm numbers in the ejaculate/

Other question in the past 5 weeks his soetm Count has gone up quite a large amount does that mean he is maturing and if so what I don't understand is ( and no one can seem To explain) why does he have sperm if he is not mature and why is it dead.

It could mean that he is maturing or it could simply be a reflection of the season - testosterone levels increase as the (natural) breeding season draws closer, and some stallions will produce twice as many sperm at the height of the breeding season (May/June) as they will at the opposite time of the year (Nov/Dec).

The issue with production of dead sperm related to a lack of maturity is not clearly understood, but is most likely a factor of the sperm or secondary sex gland secretion production having not yet matured. Incidentally, while on the subject of seminal plasma, that does raise another possibility that I have not addressed as you indicated in your first post that you were experienced with stallion management, but you have ruled out seminal plasma or gel toxicity haven't you?

Also if he has sperm although dead in collection does that mean he is not steril.

Fertility calculation is related to pregnancy rate percentage. Currently he would be regarded as having an infertility issue, but that would not specifically make him classified as "sterile" at this stage.

JOS Thanks for your response are you your self a vet?

We own and operate a reproductive veterinary practice, but I am not myself a vet.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Nitesun » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks Jos. We use a filter and so that shouod take care if that. His sperm count is not high enough to be one of those stallions that does not realse dead sperm. I guess he is just too young not 2 untill June. Was just wondering and being a nervous owner. My other stallion would not even jump the dummy at 2 so never got a collection to even know what it would of looked like and now he has many registered foals and great semen.
Nitesun
Neonate

Return to General Stallion Questions