SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

My boys having troubles again

This category is to be used for general stallion questions that are not covered by other category descriptions.

Moderator: Jos

My boys having troubles again

Postby Kleonaptra » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:19 pm

G'day all,

My boy saw the vet frequently from the end of January to about mid April. It began as respiratory infection, high temp. Given bute and sulprim, recovered, went back to work. Soon after, abcess in nose, high temp. The vet at this time said his infection had moved from lungs to sinus, and the abcess was likely not connected. He was given a course of penicillin and bute, recovered. Soon after this he coliked badly one night. He got thru the colic only to be in distress a few hours later - swollen testicles, unable to urinate and high temp. Bloods were taken at this time but told us nothing except that he had an infection. The abcess recurred in his nose, exact same place, and he stopped masturbating. After going on strong Doxycycline and bute twice a day he began to recover. We fully examined his testicles and penis and found no injury. I thought the left testicle - which had a lump on it - looked (and felt) turned but the vet said it was ok.

I posted on this forum and Jos told me the swelling would not go up and down rapidly unless it was from a bite or sting. This got me thinking about the lump, the overly hot wet weather and mosquitos. We finally decided he had been bitten on the testicles by a mosquito (or some other bug) causing an infection. I began other research - realized he had never been on pasture before (we havnt lived here that long) and deduced he had a vitamin and mineral deficiency from being on the lush grass, added to that, a severe paspalum allergy made worse by sinus pressure from a head injury at 2yrs. I restricted his acess to pasture, gave him new feed and supplements, he began to recover within two days - even his itch was better. He was a healthy boy within a week with no symptoms.

Until last thursday. Observed him trying to urinate. Obviously couldnt. I isolated him and took his temp, 39.6 degrees celsius, very high. testicles slightly swollen, especially the left one and the lump was back. When the vet came we used a catheter to empty his bladder and took a sample. She did a rectal and found no blockages. His manure was normal. We took bloods as well. I took his temp twice daily over 3 days and gave 5ml bute every morning. On Saturday night he had a cough but it didnt get worse and seems gone now. By Mon temp was gone and I stopped the bute. Test results found no abnormalities, not even an infection. Slightly high lymphocytes but no elevated white cell. At least his kidneys are normal with no signs of stones.

She did mention that the left testicle did not feel right, she couldnt immediately feel head and tail, something I had observed myself, but after the bute kicked in she said it was good, she could feel it.

He seems very well now but Im still seeing slight swelling of both testicles. Maybe the right term would be 'enlarged' as they arent swollen in the true sense, just a bit bigger than usual. One goes up, the other down, or both blow up, then one goes down. Its usually the left big and the right small but Ive seen them go the other way too. Its goes on throughout the day. The weather has suddenly turned very hot and Im wondering if this has anything to do with it?

Any advice would be very welcome. I thought I had solved this problem and now I feel it looming over my head again. I dont want to see him sick again like he was early this year.
Kleonaptra
Nursing Foal

Re: My boys having troubles again

Postby Jos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 pm

My general inclination is that your horse is likely to be experiencing some sort of allergic reaction to something - a bite or sting perhaps, or ???

It sounds as though your vet is performing diagnostics, so hopefully they will find some specific cause, or at least enable a resolution.

Good luck! :)
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Kleonaptra » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks for your input Jos,

I have been corresponding with a woman via email who does research into pasture and vitamin and mineral imbalances. It was on her pages (Gotcha Equine) I found the majority of the info which added up his symptoms and offered a solution. She mentioned that swelling was likely an allergy reaction, to either paspalum (which he was obviously allergic to) or something else in the pasture. The problem is, even though I already buy supplements from her, she's pushing me hard to try certain ones on him which I cant afford on the long term, so Im not keen on asking her opinion on this! I know what her answer will be!

Paspalum isnt up yet, but fireweed is, and he has had reactions to that in the past. Its been sprayed and should be dead in a week. He was also restricted from the biggest paddock with the most variants two days before he came down sick again, so at least it narrows the field.

My problem is that lump. Last time the vets said it was glandular, as all his glands were affected and we had examined him to rule out injuries or blockages. If he truly is having an allergic reaction from pasture, its ingested or absorbed thru skin and the lump doesnt make sense. If its a bite, why recur now? The hot weather, causing him to be lowering them for the first time in months stirring it up?

He does have a terrible time with bugs on his testicles. Ever since he was a young colt when the biters attack they go for him there and it causes him SO much stress. Insect repellents dont work for long, Im trying to invent some kind of 'stallion knickers' to protect them!

The vets are done for now, if he relapsed they said we would do more but Im not sure what to look for.

Good news is hes well today. Drinking lots, normal temp and pacing about looking grand as a new horse moved in down the road.
Kleonaptra
Nursing Foal

Postby Kleonaptra » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Ok Ive noticed something.

Even though he masturbates frequently throughout the day, he doesnt always ejaculate. For example, if I see him masturbate 5 times while Im around the yard, he would only actually ejaculate twice.

Is he giving himself blue balls!?
Kleonaptra
Nursing Foal

Postby Jos » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Kleonaptra wrote:Is he giving himself blue balls!?

Stallions masturbate on average every 90 minutes. They very rarely ejaculate. In fact the chances are that what you are seeing as an emission and you are thinking is him ejaculating is most likely pre-ejaculate (which contains no sperm). On the rare occasions that a stallion does masturbate to the point of (true) ejaculation, it is usually a stallion that is not being bred regularly.

Healthy stallions - and indeed most male mammals - do release dead sperm in their urine by the billion on a daily basis. That is how dead sperm are (for the most part) disposed of by the body to ensure that when a breeding takes place, the sperm quality is primarily fresh.

"Blue balls" may be a mental condition that occurs (in humans) but it actually does not exist physically as such. In some stallions a blockage at the ampullae may occur preventing release of dead sperm in the urine, however this will not produce a dramatic swelling. Sperm are small...
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Kleonaptra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Ok thanks for that Jos. He runs with his mare and she is pregnant so he only got to breed for the first time last year for a couple of months, then she said no and loudly. The way he stares longingly at her bottom and masturbates furiously, I thought perhaps he was building up sperm causing the enlargement. Back to the drawing board.
Kleonaptra
Nursing Foal

Return to General Stallion Questions