SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Semen with broken tails

This category is to be used for general stallion questions that are not covered by other category descriptions.

Moderator: Jos

Semen with broken tails

Postby Lridgeway » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi. It's been a while since I've posted here.

I did a search to see if my question had already been answered but I couldn't come up with anything.

I've been performing collection and AI on a limited basis and just this year (on Fri) had to ship cooled semen.

I offered a free breeding to someone in TX if they were willing to be my guinea pig for trying to ship this stallion and they agreed.

So their vet got the shipment today and mentioned it was 30% motility with forward motion and there were a lot of semen with broken tails or that were swimming in circles.

This was the stallions first mare in about 3 years but 2 days before I collected to ship, I collected him so that what I shipped would be relatively new.

So my question is, what causes sperm to have broken tails and/or swim in circles?
Lridgeway
Neonate

Re: Semen with broken tails

Postby Jos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Tertiary abnormalities, which commonly involve the tail section of the sperm, are most often caused as a result of some action after ejaculation. Common issues which may result in tertiary abnormalities include heat or cold shock of the sperm (e.g. the semen passing over the heated lumen of the AV on its way into the collection bottle - heat shock; not having a heated cover on the collection bottle in cold weather - cold shock; extender temperature incorrect - either); osmotic shock - extender that is of a significant osmotic difference from the semen or not allowing a period of stabilisation when step-diluting.

If the tails are not broken, but are separated from the head, then that is possibly an issue that you perhaps didn't catch at the time of evaluation after collection, and the stallion is an accumulator stallion.

Having said that, 30% progressive motility is OK as long as an adequate number of progressively motile, morphologically normal sperm are present. Motility percentage means little by itself, but the number of sperm means a lot. Read our article about "what constitutes a bad shipment of semen" for more details.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Lridgeway » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 pm

The vet in TX decided it probably wasn't enough to get the mare pregnant but that they would check it over the next few days to see how it held up. They also mentioned they thought it was over diluted but I only diluted 1:1.

Based on what you said, I think it was the temperature. It was cold, about 45 degrees, I do have the heated cover for my AV and tried my best to keep everything at temp but I'm guessing I failed. This stallion is slow to breed, I left the thermometer in until last minute but it ended up taking 3 tries and a change in jump mares before we collected. I had the extender in a water bath.

My preference is to breed in the spring, when it's much warmer.

I guess I'll have to figure out a way to do this when it's cold out.

I appreciate your time and am going to read your article.
Lridgeway
Neonate

Postby lotsofponies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Did you check the concentration before diluting?
lotsofponies
Weanling

Return to General Stallion Questions