SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Can we talk about building a phantom?

This category is to be used for general stallion questions that are not covered by other category descriptions.

Moderator: Jos

Can we talk about building a phantom?

Postby Samantha » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 am

I'm getting ready to have one permanently installed. Normally we have one that is set up, but it's time to get one here full time :)

I've heard of telephone poles, and water heaters being used. I'm looking for suggestions on dimensions from all angles, and materials.

My stallions range in height from 11 hands to 14 hands. I realize we will probably have to make it adjustable.
Samantha
Neonate

Re: Can we talk about building a phantom?

Postby Jos » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 am

Please check out our article about building a phantom, which contains plans with measurements and will answer your questions.

You will not need to make your mount adjustable. If your stallion size range is 11-14 hands, making it around 12 to 12.2 (48"-50") should work. Stallions can adjust themselves very well to the height of different mares, within reason! :D

If you do find you have more questions that are not answered by the article, please feel free to post them here!
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Samantha » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 am

Thank you Jos! Have you had much feedback on making the phantoms contoured? None of the ones I've ever had these stallions collected on have been like that, but it does make sense. More trouble than it's worth?

That article is AWESOME. MUCH more simple than I was anticipating :)
Samantha
Neonate

Postby Jos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 am

What exactly do you mean by "contoured"?

If you are referring to the design that angles the near-side back end of the mount to reduce the amount of penile deflection that is required to enter the AV, then our opinion of that is that although it seems like a good idea, in our experience, that is more likely to encourage the stallion to "climb" the mount. Our hypothesis for the cause of this effect is that most stallions prefer an equal amount of support under their entire abdominal region, whereas the angled back end produces an uneven effect, encouraging the horse to climb up the mount to seek an even base of support.

If you mean something else, please describe it and I'll be happy to try and give an opinion.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby lotsofponies » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:05 pm

I saw a few panthoms (I think it is an European thing) that were cutout underneath instead of on the side so you collect them under the panthom. Has any one tried this type?
lotsofponies
Weanling

Postby Jos » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 pm

lotsofponies wrote:I saw a few panthoms (I think it is an European thing) that were cutout underneath instead of on the side so you collect them under the panthom. Has any one tried this type?

Actually, our own breeding mount was built as a prototype for us to "test drive" for the manufacturing company (that is no longer in business) and which has a cut-away section on the lower left quarter of the back of the mount. It does work well in that we can keep the AV slightly more in alignment with the center line, but the upper surface of the mount still gives full-width support for the stallion, which they like. The one thing that one has to be careful about with the cut-away bottom that you describe is that the penis doesn't become injured if the stallion rears up while his penis is still under the mount. For that reason, I think I prefer the design we have, which does not allow that possibility.
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Ashenvale » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi Jos

I am also looking at having one of these made.

Can you suggest where I would find the exact measurements for this?

thank you
Ashenvale
Nursing Foal

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:20 pm

I have built several phantoms after seeing Jos's Power Pole plans but have modified my design slightly.

Instead of the V shape on top of the posts I have a shallow inverted V that I cut in with my chainsaw that matches the shape of the post that I use for the body. I secure the body to the posts with 2 galvanised steel angle brackets held in place with 150mm coachscrews and springwashers. As a back-up measure I also use flat head nails (clouts) to secure some strip bracing over the body to each leg.

I have used the same measurements as Jos gives for each phantom and I can assure you it works well.

I've collected stallions from 12.2 to 16.2 on them with no problems at all.
Chris
Nursing Foal

Return to General Stallion Questions