SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Stallion behaving badly

This category is to be used for general stallion questions that are not covered by other category descriptions.

Moderator: Jos

Stallion behaving badly

Postby kdgilger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:21 pm

OK< I have a 2 yr old mini stallion who I've had since March. When I first got him, he was very timid and shy around the mares,he acted like he had no interest in them at all....so I sent my mares out to be bred. When the mares came home, he decided to grow up, and turned into the "boy from hell". One of the mares was unbred, so he bred her, got her settled the first time. So I was happy with that. BUT, we also have a haflinger mare who is 13 hands, and built like a TANK. He HATED this mare! After a few months, they were getting along just fine. But then I sent the mare off to the trainer for a month. Apparantly, she lost her status on the totem pole, and now that I've brought her back, the stallion is more terrible to her than he ever was! In addition, I recently purchased a new mini mare who is unbred. He seems to stress ALL DAY over one or the other.....constantly chasing, biting, and being UGLY to them. Is there anything I can do to make this transition easier for him? (and me, and the mares) I can understand his frustration of having now 3 mares in the pasture who he doesn't have bred, but WHY does he obsess so about being so MEAN to them!?
kdgilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Re: Stallion behaving badly

Postby Jos » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:31 pm

There's a simple mathematical formula:

"Terrible twos" + testosterone + multiple mares = chaos :D

There is no simple answer, as there can be different responses to different situations with different stallions. What you're going to have to do is try out different parameters and see what happens.

The issue is the "herd dynamic" (obviously). So what you might start by trying is reducing his herd. Just him and one mare. If he is reasonable with her, then give it a few days and see what happens if you introduce another mare, and then the third a few days after that. It may be that he's just overwhelmed by it all.

Having said that, it also may be that he will simply run a single mare all day. If that happens, try putting him out with the single mare but the other mares in an adjacent paddock for a day or two. He may fret about having "lost" the adjacent mares and not focus on the mare in with him, and then when the adjacent mares are restored, settle down completely.

And then there's also the possibility that he will not settle at all, and end up being stuck in a paddock by himself. It happens!

You can try feeding him L-tryptophan, but I'm always reluctant to mess with nutrients or things that potentially affect libido in young stallions (or colt, as he technically is), so that's very much a last resort in my book.

The bad news? You really want to get this sorted out before spring - and higher testosterone levels - arrives! So the sooner you start playing, the better!

Good luck!!! :)
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Re: Stallion behaving badly

Postby kdgilger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks Jos, I was thinking of doing just that...and letting him rebond with the haflinger mare as his only companion for a while. Then one by one, putting his mares back with him. I really hope it helps, as I had to rehome my last stallion because of his behavior issues with the big mare. What is it about tiny stallions that makes them HATE big horses?? I thought it would be ok, because she's a mare...but turns out, it doens't really matter...all he knows is she's a point of frustrations, whether he sees her as a threat to his herd, or is frustrated that she is unbreedable..I have no idea. I am at my wit's end, and Just want some PEACE in my pasture! Usually this time of year, everyone is together, and it is peaceful....so many changes at once pushed him over the edge, I'm guessing! LOL I will try to start over reincorporating him into the herd one by one and see if that works...here's hoping! And thanks for the reply! :)
kdgilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to General Stallion Questions